Friday, January 27, 2006

Ancient Indian Bronze Statue of Baal or Hillbilly Geegaw?




While visitng my buddy John down in West Virginia coal country, he showed me this incredible statue he had which he got from a farmhouse in Martinsburg which was home to a bunch of occult worshipping hippies. This 10" statue appears to be of the Phoenicean or Canaanite god Baal, as it depicts the head of a bull on the body of a man. Exactly where and when this statue dates from is a mystery Im trying to unravel. The spiffy outfit is quite amazing, complete with another demonic image of a face with its tongue hanging out and cute, pointy boots!

In one hand there is an hatchet(or tomahawk if this is indeed a Native American artificact) and in the other, a pipe used for smoking. Its almost as if he's saying smoke with me or I 'll chop your head off, or maybe let's smoke and then I'll chop your head off. Or maybe, let's chop down that burning bush and then have a smoke!(and what was he smoking anyway??) I just dont know as this is a little out of my realm, but I wanted to post if and see if anyone could fill me in on this. Take note to the markings etched in the base. Is it an ancient language or just some scribbling?? The mystery beckons.

The god Baal was a fertitlity god associated with human sacrifice and other atrocities and there exists some evidence of Baal worship(or a similar deity) among the Native Americans and pre-colonial settlements though I would have to think this dates from more modern times. Nevertheless, its quite an unusual statue and it was given to my buddy by people who told him it was evil! It certainly looks demonic! Maybe I can use its magic power to achieve success for my record label without selling my soul in the process. Suffice to say there are many out there who sell their soul on a daily basis in the music biz, but not me. Id rather post crazy pics on my blog and see what kind of response I get! Its called the fast track! Its fast alright but I cant tell you which way Im heading. I dont quite know what to make of this odd relic, but I'm sure it could kick any Shogun Warrior's ass!

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that thing is evil looking. I'm a teacher, and I can say that the statue you have is NOT Native American at all. If I were you, I'd bury it in a deep hole in the ground, after having it blessed by a priest or minister. If you're not a religious type, then I'd sell the thing for scrap metal and have it melted down because I get a creepy feeling when I look at it. The writing on the close-up image of the statue is Middle Eastern in origin, probably some form of early Arabic.

The work on the statue's outfit looks partly Phoenician.

http://sakkal.com/Arab_Calligraphy_Art3.html

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how people that believe in a benevolent and protective god are afraid of inanimate objects, or feel that they can be 'evil' somehow. Neat looking statue, wanna sell it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home